For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Weighing in on the exhaust!

I stopped by the grain elevator on the way home from work and put Jenna on the scale.  Of course I did it on a whim so was not prepared and had my tool box, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, toe strap several bags of parts, a gallon of water and who knows what else in the car.  She weighed in at 2620 lbs with a half tank of gas. 

That’s about 50 lbs more than I had hoped for but considering all the steel and welding wire I added and the packed trunk I’m not surprised.  Race weight with all the stuff out and a full tank of gas I think will be around 2580.  That's 40 lbs heavier than a 427 Cobra but hey I get a radio, air conditioning, power steering, side windows and oh yeah, a top for that 40 lbs!
 But more important she is nearly 1200 lbs less that her predecessor so I am delighted!

Now on the exhaust thing I am still struggling to get where I want to be.  The flyin Miata set up has an OK sound if you like late 90s Corvette. It would be fine for a date car but hardly strikes fear into the driver next you at the stop light.  

I messed around with various configurations and found with enough venting to get the desired volume it sounds like an old Chevy pickup that needs a muffler, and with enough baffling to get the right sound it’s too quiet.  I know she will never sound like a 60s big block but I can still try!

So for now this is what I did.  I cut a hole in the muffler the size of a 2 bolt 2 1/2" flange.  
Then I cut the flange in half so I could get it in the hole and welded it back together inside the muffler with nuts on the back to bolt to.  Yeah that was interesting!
 
Next up I took an auger style header baffle and cut one loop off of it.
I welded the loop and the mate to the flange inside the muffler onto an old piece of Camaro exhaust I had laying around. 

On the other end I put a 3 bolt flange to cap it off for road trips.

And installed like so.


I tucked it up tight to try and make it not show.
That's my babe riding shot gun on the road test :-)
The result is frankly amazing.  It is still too quiet but the sound there is there is really good sound.  It’s big and deep, very much like a 60s muscle car.  It has just enough sound to be noticed and just cam lope to know there is something very not stock under the hood.  I’m hoping to post a track video in about 2 weeks so you can hear it but I know no video can do it justice!

The Lord thundered from heaven and the most high made his voice heard.  2 Sam 22:14.  Yep there is a verse for that!

9/10/13 update I took the screw out of the exhaust becuase it still was not loud enough.  Over the winter I am going to rework it so look for posts in 2014 on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment