For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Friday, June 7, 2013

I GIVE UP!

So I’m reading Shannons blog and he mentioned needing to move the fire wall gusset so the evaporator would fit before he welded up his tunnel.  Um... time for another
along with the wow I really messed up sinking feeling!  When I welded it back together I never thought to check that…  Time to adjust the plan!

I had planned on installing the A/C after I had it on the road but it makes a lot more sense to do it now while it is all apart.  

So I went to put the compressor on only to find it hits the sway bar and wouldn’t go on. Opps… I wish I would have checked that before I welded the brackets back on!  So I rebuilt the sway bar brackets again moving it another 3/8” forward.  (total about 5/8s forward from stock now and you can see the stock hole just behind where it is mounted in this shot)
With the compressor and sway bar in place I laid out the hoses to figure out if I could merge the 2 systems.  Yes I am avoiding putting the evaporator in because I don’t want to know how much trouble I am in!
 
It appears the logical way to merge the 2 systems is using all the Miata stuff on the car side and the Camaro lines off the compressor.  So I ordered up a couple of nifty connectors to splice the hoses.  This guy
 for the high side and simple barbed fittingfor the low side.
I'll make some brackets and get the condensor in this weekend and face the music on the firewall too...

Now the reason this post is titled "I give up" is I need stop focusing on my start up goal and just build the car right.  I still have the final set up to do on the rear end and no suspension under it so it’s kind of pointless to have it run next weekend anyway. 

I'm fine with missing the goal.  I have come so far and accomplished so much it's impossible to feel dissipointed! 

* updating this post - IT FITS!!There is no carpet or insulation under a bit of it and it is tight on the gusset but the evaporator went right in there.  Happy day!!  
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment