For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Monday, June 3, 2013

The other half of the back half

It seems like a year ago I rebuilt the rear end because soo much has happened since then.  But it’s really only been parked under my bench for about 2 months.  It's mostly ready go except for the little detail that there is no way to mount it in the car. ;-)  Now I could have left it there and focused on getting the engine running to make my start up goal but I'd rather have the drive shaft in properly so I can have oil in the transmission when I do try and start it even if I miss the date.
 
So out comes the rear frame.
More rust but thankfully it came out with no trouble.
Martins Monster Miata 8.8 parts are symmetrical but Jenna is not so it took some grinding to dial in the back mount.
A shot with the back mount on and the diff sitting on it.  So far so good!The front mount had about a 3/8” gap to the frame that it should not have had IMO.So I added some end plates with a couple of tabs and gussets on the back to weld to.
And of course while I had the welder out how could I resist adding some support to the frame with braces too?
Now I would like to pause here and post a quote from a fine welder in another buildthread: "Clearly the anti-corrosion dip or electroplate that Mazda does to these cars inhibits the welding process. I cleaned the metal very well, but it was still difficult to get a nice bead without burning through"

VALADATED!!! I was hoping I wasn't such a klutz that I couldn't weld on this car! Thankfully the frame was normal metal so I got some spanking good welds on these mounts where I really needed them. So good I'll zoom for you this time!! 
Still not going to be in any text book but I'm really happy with them!  So I have it welded up and ready for paint.  It sure dosn't seem like there is much holding that big differential in the car... 
So far all the work has been done off the car on the subframe and Jenna seemed to be cooperating.  But there was no time like now with the wheel wells wide open to roll the fenders so I had to risk her fury and give it a try.
Interesting just as I getting ready to start the Top Gear guys were talking about the perception that Miatas are girls cars that no real men would own.  I have a hunch that had something to do with the fenders rolling like a dream!  I’ve done a lot of fender rolling in my time but never one that went so smooth, fast and easy as this one.  Turns out it pays to have Netflix in the garage!  No problem fitting manly size tires on her now...

It cracked the paint as I expected it would do but no problem with a little black Rustoleum.
Also with the subframe out it was easy to drop the gas tank down a little and run the fuel lines through.
Oh yeah I would have needed to do the fuel lines to start it too right?  LOL!
All in all not a bad weekend but I didn’t work on it round the clock this weekend.  As much as I want to get it going with this beautiful summer top down weather I needed to back off and remember this is a marathon not a sprint! 
11 days and counting till my start up goal, Yikesl!! 
Have a GREAT week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment