For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

No Fury like a women scorned!

I don’t know what’s going on but ever since Saturday I seem to be on the wrong side of Jenna. She is in a full blown snit bucking and fighting everything I do. Bolts either break off, cross thread or I can’t find them. Welded nuts that should pop off with a touch of the air hammer have bionic strength. Parts that should bolt right in like the special Flyin Miata V8 sway bar and power steering adaptor kit don’t fit. Even just dumb stuff like banging my knee on the partially open door I have walked by 100 times without hitting.  And that really hurt!

With all the buckyness I’ve probably gotten 3 hours worth of work done in the last 8 hours of effort. What’s worse is based on my research I thought I could use the Miata fans and the Camaro fuel pump but neither of them will fit. $$$!
 
I joked with Charlie before I started that we might have to rename her Senna after the legendary F1 driver. Perhaps she is taking on his equally legendary cantankerous personality!

Then there is the wheel saga that is completely my fault but still making this week difficult. The first set of wheels I bought were back ordered till July. Then I found a cheap set of used flairs so I was able to fit 0 offset wheels and went that route.  Cool right?
Well after I posted that a guy told me the biggest mistake he ever made was cutting his fenders to flair them. There is no turning back from that and no reason to flair them and push out an 8” wheel. Flairs with a 10" wheel is cool but anything less falls into ricer territory. Humph…


But a bigger issue is I discovered wheels with less than +20 offset move the suspension scrub radius out too far and adversely impact the handling of the car. On a Miata +36 is optimum, +25 OK but 0 is horrible which is why all of the expensive forged racing wheels are +36. Humph #2...

So my beautiful 0 offset wheels are listed on ebay and the hunt begins again for wheels. 
But hey maybe with a new set of wheels and shoes Jenna will play nice again!

Not to be out done my wife made a rather odd comment this week.  She said "You can't die while the garage and basement is in such a mess".  OooooKaaaay dear...  I said as casually as I could "no problem just leave it all for Charlie and he'll put it to good use".  But you know how you ponder such things and replay them in you mind?  Is that a wifely premonition?  Good grief what would the poor dear do with this mess if I suddenly fell off the planet!  Wait, is she in cahoots with Jenna to do me in and end all this nonsense?  This is just such a weird week! 

I'm really only posting this for me to look back in a few years and remember what these days of struggle were like. I know these times of difficulty will make the reward that much sweeter and while I have my doubts about making my start up date I have no doubt Jenna is going to be amazing when she does run.

For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. 1 John 4.  Yeah that is a bit out of context but still a great word!

No comments:

Post a Comment