For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The 3rd half of the back half, 8.8 Ford axles in a Miata.

Yes this is the 3rd post on rear end work but it should be the last!  I’m getting close to being done with the chassis support plan Charlie and I started at Christmas.
 
I added side to side support to the lower control arms creating a box with the welded braces I put in when I had the subframe out.

Then from the tabs at the end of the frame rails I connected the rear subframe with a welded in brace.

Click on the photo for a bigger view.
 
Looking at it from the side you can see how it makes a box out of the existing structure to really support the rear suspension.
 

With the welding done I finished up the mechanical stuff. 
 
First in was the new rear wheel bearings with my trusty bearing press.
 

Then it was on to rebuilding the T bird axles to fit the Miata.

For those of you trying this at home I recommend the Audi boot on the right for the outside as they are nice and short to clear the shock. The normal Tbird boot is on the left.

You can see the box it came in here with the name and part #

And the clearance it gives you.
 
 
 This is a stock Thunderbird axle next to one modified for the Miata.
 
 
 The new longer studs, seals and monster shim is in and ready to roll.

 
 No I didn’t clean up the rotors because driving will do that and they will be replaced with larger ones next year anyway.
 
I blead the brakes and filled the diff so now if I could just get my computer back from the tuner!!

After 4 months of being on jack stands she is back on her feet!




In other news I am sad to report my racing seat from the Camaro won’t fit in the car.
 
 
 
Well it won’t fit yet anyway!  The good news it’s made out of fiberglass so it can be eaisly adjusted and there is plenty of room in the tunnel to induce a tolerance with my favorite bearing press...:-)

 
Now just between you and me I have to tell you something.  I have not looked at our club site for months but this morning I got a message from a friend in the car club I race with.  When I went to the site to retrieve it I noticed this weekend is a race weekend.  Yep you guessed it,... it took about 5 seconds to calculate I had 104 hours until the drivers meeting on Saturday to get Jenna track worthy.  But I'm not telling her that!….
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment