For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Getting close – SO CLOSE!

I knew there would be surprises to deal with once it was running and indeed there were several.  When I put the lines on the steering rack I did not realize the return was up against the oil pan and could not go straight in so I cross threaded it.  It leaked and I had to pull the steering rack almost completely out to fix it because there no visibility or room to get at the fittings.  It was a messy job with PS fluid dripping down on me!

I also had a leak at the oil filter adaptor.  I knew the threads on it were British pipe thread but thought I could get national pipe thread to seal up anyway.  The thread pitch is just slightly different but enough that I could not get it to seal even with permitex in it.  So for now I plugged the gauge lines and have a fitting on the way from the UK.  The adventures of buying an oil pan and remote filter off ebay!
 BTW that filter housing gets really hot when it’s running!

The radiator cap is about 3 inches lower then the heater hoses so the only way to get the air out of the system was to cut one.  No big deal and I found out both my fans work with the primary coming on about 205 and the other about 210.
I used an old piece of brake line to plumb up the coolant overflow tank and got it mounted.  The computer is about where the washer tank goes so I'll either find a small one or put it in the trunk.
I have the air cleaner installed too.  I do admire guys who make clean and tidy engine bays but as long as it works and is reliable I can live with a cluttered engine bay. 
I'm a little concerned about blocking air flow but it's not covering any of the fins on the radiator so we'll see how it goes.  Blue was on sale so...:-) 
 I did check for clearance with the bumper and I need to move it up and turn it slightly to tuck it in it there right.  But I want to road test and debug before I put the bumper and hood back on.
I also got the dash mostly buttoned up.  I decided to only use 1 of the 2 shift lights I had in the Camaro because I only use the light to know when not to shift.  If it comes on close to a braking zone it’s faster to hang on for a few seconds rather than shift up then right back down again.  The other thing is if I hit the rev limiter in a corner it would unsettle the car so I want to know when I get close.  So the light is at 6300, the rev limiter at 6500 and red line is 6700.   
The tach and gas gauge work and we'll see on the speedo.

I'm pretty much down to just a ruff alignment to road test it.  I have no doubt that will turn up new issues but it will be good to get it back on the ground and put a few miles on it.

I've been chewing on this psalm 15:8 this week.  Check it out:

I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken for he is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is glad and I rejoice!  My body rests in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave. 
You will show me the way of life granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.

If you hang on to that how can you possibly have a bad day?  EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment