For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Open wide Jenna! Miata LS1 installation

It was an exceptional weekend as my youngest graduated from college, mother’s day was celebrated, and the LS went in her new home.

I mentioned in my last post this hole in the head is the wrong size for the gauges going in.
So with drill and tap in hand I went to work.  A trick I picked up from another build thread is to set the air compressor regulator to 20 psi, then plug all the cooling lines and send air into the block. 
 
 It worked like a dream and all the chips blew out on a nice breeze of air as I worked.
Ready to go


These photos pretty much speak for themselves


A pause here to plug in the wires on the back of the engine

Problem here with the bolt I had the chain on. It was hitting the fire wall so I had to relocate the lifiting chain to the side of the head.



Now I had a little hiccup here with the fire wall even with the chain out of the way.  When I test fit the engine the firewall was cut open and pretty floppy.  I did not realize that it had squished in on the passenger side with the head hitting it.  From underneith it looked like it had enough clearance but with it welded the engine was solid against the fire wall and would not bolt in.  I was amazed beyond amazed how strong that fire wall is now that it welded back together.  My 2 lb BH would not move it and my air hammer would not touch it either.  I used an 8 lb sledge hammer and hit it so hard the car was getting tippy on the jack stands to move it.  I feel pretty good about my welds now! 

I won the battle and got it in but it was a ton of work swinging that sledge hammer!  So when you guys test fit your engine don’t get all giddy like I did with it in the bay and miss stuff.  Pay very close attention to the passenger side head clearance and fit the radiator.

OK on with the show..
.
I set the radiator in just to be sure...

The trans took a little wrestling but went right in.  I should have made a little board to fit on the floor jack so it would sit level on it but it was getting late so I just grunted it up in there.
 
I was happy to see the shifter is right where it belongs in the hole.
 
I know it looks like I got a lot done and moved forward a long way but I was only at it about 5 hours over the weekend. In the grand scheme of things if you consider body and paint I think I am about half way done.

Speaking of paint the wheels came and the are the perfect gold/ bronze color to accent the black.  The photo does not do them justice! 
I'm not a big fan of the 8 hole lugs but love everything else about the wheels.  I'll be looking to match or at least tie onto the color for the stripes.

With the celebration of Mothers day I leave you guys with Eph 5 from the message.  Because this is where the rubber meets the road!
 
Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ’s love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives. They’re really doing themselves a favor—since they’re already “one” in marriage.

No one abuses his own body, does he? No, he feeds and pampers it. That’s how Christ treats us, the church, since we are part of his body. And this is why a man leaves father and mother and cherishes his wife. No longer two, they become “one flesh.”

No comments:

Post a Comment