For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Elijah visits my garage…

This was indeed a strange, but good weekend.  Friday night I was welding on the last shock tower when I ran out of wire.  I changed rolls - #4 for those who are counting – and when I turned the gas back on the needle on the tank did not move.  Bummer I was out of gas on a Friday night which means no welding till Monday night.  The regulator needle still showed 15psi still so I welded a couple inches and just as expected it started splattering and the weld turned black like all welds do with no gas. 

So with no gas it was on to the next step which is test fitting the engine to be sure the tunnel is right before welding.  I unwrapped the Camaro engine and got it ready.  
I put in a new rear main seal and checked the new oil pan and pick up tube for proper fit.  Since this is a baffled pan with doors it cannot be installed upside down.

This is the V8 Roadsters engine mount. 
It is very well made but I can see why a lot of guys make their own mounts.  It’s not very complicated and a stretch to justify $1200 for.  I am glad I bought it though because it saved much time and engineering and if nothing else I have a pattern for the next build now…J

Up she goes headers and all!

Fits like a glove!
It’s surprising how well the V8 fits in the engine bay.  Why didn’t Mazda think of this??

The new oil pan works great.  The mounts on the frame under the front of the pan are for the steering rack.  I didn't check it but it should fit fine.
I messed up on the tunnel though.
 The side walls of the tunnel should not be pushed back at the bottom like they are.  The gas pedal hit the tunnel and would not work like this.  The bottom of the tunnel should be about the same width as the top so I was way off. I didn’t take any photos but I did beat the lower part back in nearly 2 inches on each side.  For you folks trying this at home don’t make the same mistake.  Follow the measurements in the instructions closely because it is really a pain to beat it back out.

Happy Jim!

OK so it’s Sunday night at supper time and I went to unhook the gas tank from the welder.  Both gauges said 0 but there was a hiss when I took the tank loose.  I turned the valve on the tank and again hisssss.  OK so I hooked it back up and cranked the regulator and up the needle went to 20 psi.  The tank still showed 0 psi, humm.

With the price of gas I figured I would weld out what little must be in the tank.  So I fired it up and started on the floor frame rail.  At the end I looked at the tank gauge and it showed 0 but the regulator was at 25 psi.  Hummm.   OK I backed the regulator down to 15 and welded the other frame rail.  I looked at again and the tank gauge and it showed 0 but the regulator was at 20.  I had now welded 6 feet of frame with no gas in the tank but the regulator kept going up!  I looked around, scratched my head and said "Excuse me Lord, what cha doing?"  Supper was now out of the question!   So I kept on going. 
Remember the frame rails I added last winter? Click HERE if you don't.
Well after burning so many holes in things it dawned on me that I could weld these to the floor from the top really easy.  
The factory frame rails have a flange that is spot welded to the floor and that flange is between the frame I added and the floor.  This is a cross view of how it is made.

I took my grinder and cut a slot through the floor then welded all 3 layers together.  

Well even though I was totally jazzed by welding for 3 hours with no gas by 8:30 I had to call it a day.  Near as I could tell I have had plenty of gas even though the tank gage says 0...

As Elijah came to the entrance of the village he met a widow, gathering firewood. He asked her, “Please, would you bring me something to eat?”

She said, “I swear, as surely as God lives I don’t have so much as a biscuit. I have a handful of flour and a little oil; you found me scratching together just enough firewood to make a last meal for my son and me. After we eat it, we’ll die.”

Elijah said to her, “Don’t worry about a thing. Go ahead and do what you’ve said. But first make a small biscuit for me and bring it back here. Then go ahead and make a meal from what’s left for you and your son. This is the word of God:‘The flour will not run out and the oil will not become empty before God sends rain on the land and ends this drought.’”

And she went and did it did just as Elijah asked. And it turned out as he said—daily food for her and her family. The flour didn’t run out and the bottle of oil didn’t become empty: God’s promise fulfilled to the letter, exactly as Elijah had delivered it.
1 Kings 17


Interesting it was raining last night as I was welding with no gas. I wonder if I'll have any gas to weld with tonight...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment