For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

News Flash: Seam welding done and suspension score!

Another great day in the build I am finally done seam welding!!   Never in my wildest dreams did I think seam welding the chassis would take so long or use so much wire and gas. 
OK, yes I admit I went overboard and welded some seams that were not specifically recommended by V8R or Flyin Miata.  The “while I’m here I may as well” mind set is a slippery slope to a lot of work!  I have over a mile of welding wire and at least 25 hours in to it. 
 Yes you read that right I managed to burn through 5373 feet of wire seam welding the car!
Surprisingly I can tell the difference already.  I can hear it in the way the doors close and as I struggled to fit the tunnel gussets back in place there is no question the tunnel is stiffer now.   For those of you trying this at home do weld the frame rails and seat rails along with the firewall gussets under the dash.  It is totally worth it!

Today was also a GREAT day in the parts department. I picked up a set of spec Miata springs and shocks with 96 hours on them for 600 bucks.  (Hours not miles because they are out of a race car)

For those that don’t know what this is were talkin Eibach 700 ft lb front springs with 325 rears and Bilstein racing shocks. This is the real deal Spec Miata racing suspension for less than half the price of new.

If my wife is reading this sorry sweets this will make the car ride like a lumber wagon on
date nights... but it will handle like a race car on race day! Yahoo!!

Psalm 66:1-4 says:
Shout joyfully to God, all the earth;
Sing the glory of His name;
Make His praise glorious.
Say to God, “How awesome are Your works!
Because of the greatness of Your power Your enemies will give feigned obedience to You.
“All the earth will worship You,
And will sing praises to You;
They will sing praises to Your name.”



No comments:

Post a Comment