For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hit the Apex - Time to Celebrate!

YAHOO!!  After 50 days taking cars apart I'm finally done! TIME TO HAPPY DANCE!!
Yes indeed I danced around the garage putting all my tools away and swept the floor. Truly a major turning point in the build! I'm done taking apart and starting to build!

Jenna is as naked as can be and ready for her mods to begin.
 
No suspension or drive train at all.

The front is so light I can pick it up off the jack stands with one hand!

Interior stripped and ready to widen the tunnel.
VERY HAPPY JIM!

Of course I could barely contain myself and I had to jump in and start converting. Real work to prep the car for the V8!!! I just can't tell you how wonderful to be done taking things apart and actually building the car now! So first up cutting the corners out of the engine bay. This is before:
 
And after: It's kind of hard to see on a black car but the inside corners of the frame are cut out along the firewall
 
Next up is to widen the tunnel. More fun with a sawsall!! But first the side braces have to come out. A friend in North Carolina who is at the same point in his build as I am showed me the trick for this. A $10 spot weld drill and they pop right out. Thanks Pat!!
 
Both braces out. Grinding out the seam sealer made a HUGE mess. That is the white stuff EVERYWHERE!
 
Next up I cut right along the corner of the tunnel to the floor and started beating the living crap out of it! Above is before and below is after
 
Here is a shot from the engine bay. I left a tab sticking out from where I started to see how far I moved it. Total for both sides is nearly 5 inches wider then when I started.
 
PS - UPDATE - After I got the engine in I found out I went way too far moving the tunnel. I should have gone about half as far as I did in this shot and nearly nothing at the bottom. I would suggest using the bell housing as a guide and go just as far as you need to and be sure and check the clearence for the gas pedal.
 
Look at all the hammer marks! A 2 1/2 lb hammer is a good friend for this!
 
This is what it looks like inside.
 
Happy Jim test fitting the bell housing! Note the instructions laying on the blanket. Yes I really DO read and follow the instructions!!

Plenty of room!
I wish I would have put the bell housing up there before I started to see what it looked like. I know it would not have fit in the hole that's for sure!! Next up is to weld it all back together. But that is for another day, this old man is mighty tired!
 
It was such a great weekend! Worship this morning on Palm Sunday was amazing, then I had a wonderful lunch date with Lori and home to beat on the car all afternoon. It just doesn't get any better than that so I say rejoice!!
Rejoice greatly O daughter of Zion!
Shout aloud O daugther of Jerusalem!
Lo your king comes to you
triumphant and victorious is He
Humble and riding on a donkey,
Zachriah 9:9

Have a GREAT holy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment