For a quick overview video of the process start to finish CLICK ME.

For the detailed story starting at the beginning CLICK ME.

You can click on any photo in the blog to make it bigger.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Snuggling into a big pile of wire!

Well it was a cold, rainy, raw kind of weekend so I had to find a warm comfy indoor job. With wifey at work and the whole day to myself I had my opening to take over the living room with the good stuff... That is hot tea, Top Gear and enough wires, modules and connectors to fill a bathtub!

This is the complete wiring harness, head lights to tail lights from the Camaro. (and the Stigg in an Audi)

It took an entire episode of Top Gear (UK) just to un-tape and remove the covers from the engine bay wiring. Then another entire episode just to defeat the incredibly stubborn bulkhead connector. I left the covers and tape on the actual engine harness because I know I am going to use that in tact.
 
It took another TG to remove the antilock brake stuff and head lights. By the time episode 4 finished I had the steering column wiring and rear harness with the tail lights and such removed. But I did have to stop for a minute to watch the TG guys shoot a car out of a cannon... :-)
From there I got into the shop manual and started following wires between the body computer and other components to try and figure out what would and would not affect the engine computer. I had to pause the Top Gear for that...
I worked on that for about and hour and realized how out of date I am. There is a lot of stuff I know from my days in the Chevy dealer, but a ton of new stuff that I have no idea what it is!
 
So I've got about 9 hours (and 6 top gears) into it over the weekend and I'm not done yet. Did you know that after about 6 hours staring at wire all colors except orange look exactly the same? Don't take my word for it try it yourself! And why is everything taking twice as long as I thought it would anyway?? Oh well it was really fun to jump into it and do some serious prep work on the Miata. Finally!

In case you are keeping track I am now 3 months, 4 days and 12 hours to my turn key go vroom goal. And on that happy note it's off to bed to dream about drowning in wire!

No comments:

Post a Comment